Abdominoplasty is a procedure that has been popular for many years due to the outstanding results that can be achieved through surgical tightening of the abdominal muscles. This technique, usually referred to as a tummy tuck, is an important aspect in many Mommy Makeover journeys. Here, we want to point out a few ways to maximize the entire experience of a tummy tuck.
- Choose a board-certified plastic surgeon for your procedure. Abdominoplasty is not a procedure to put in the hands of medical tourism. It is best performed by a highly-trained plastic surgeon with a history of success in cosmetic surgery procedures. Dr. Rosenthal has been in practice for more than two decades. She customizes tummy tucks to each patient to achieve results that look beautifully natural.
- Know what a tummy tuck can and cannot do. One of the most important aspects of consultations is the discussion about what is possible with any given procedure. Abdominoplasty may be able to remove stretch marks, and it is one of the best ways to reinstate muscle tone that flattens the midsection. Abdominoplasty does not reduce overall weight.
- Be prepared for a few weeks of recovery. It is important to gain balance in physicality after abdominoplasty. Soreness may prevent you from wanting to do much of anything, but healing occurs more efficiently when you move around. For the first few days, this may be walking from the bed to the bathroom, or squeezing leg muscles while sitting down.
- Wear your support garment if advised to do so. If you feel that your recovery could be made more pleasant with a support garment, contact our office to discuss this option.
- Be prepared with appropriate over-the-counter medication to combat constipation. We are happy to speak with you about this before your surgery date. Some patients become constipated when using prescription pain medication. A mild stool softener may offset this side effect.
- Plan for time off. It is possible that you may be able to return to work a week or so after abdominoplasty. However, it’s also possible that you may not be ready so soon. Ideally, two to three weeks can be arranged for your complete recovery period.
- Be patient with roller-coaster emotions. Abdominoplasty is a rewarding procedure, but it is a surgery that involves a visible incision. The appearance of the incision scar, the desire for gorgeous results, and the general physical stress of surgery can lead to emotional ups and downs. When you expect this as a normal side effect of surgery, you’re better prepared for the ride through recovery.
We are here to support you as you heal from your tummy tuck. If you have questions or would like to schedule a consultation in our office near San Jose, call (408) 559-4700.